Saturday, January 17, 2009

Word for the Day

From today's reading:
Hebrews 4:12-13

Indeed, the word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart.

No creature is concealed from him, but everything is naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must render an account.

I find it comforting that God through His word can hear the real "reflections and thoughts" of my heart.  That I can be naked before Him and feel no shame.  That He can penetrate all my walls and pretensions and see me for who I am, my weaknesses and faults, my dreams and desires.  It is good to have a God who loves us this much, all of us, individually, and as a whole.

I needed to hear this today, for I am busy with many good things, and surrounded by people whom I still tend to want to please.  It can get tiring and burdensome to be after others' happiness.  So it is a huge comfort to know that there is one who is looking after my own heart, and who is listening to what I'm not saying.  He is the Audience of One that I look up to, and whose approval I seek.  It is to Him that "we must render an account" anyway, and He is not as demanding as we perceive Him to be.  This gives me rest this weekend.

Our God is an amazing God.

No comments: