Friday, September 26, 2008

A Time for Everything

Why is it that, despite all our knowledge, we insist on doing things not worthy of our calling as Christians?

A few days ago, we read in Proverbs that "All the ways of a man may be right in his own eyes, but it is the LORD who proves hearts." (Proverbs 21:2)

We can easily be manipulated, misled, and misguided, if we do not set our hearts on Jesus.

I write this for myself, for I saw first-hand the things that I was capable of doing, and how far, remotely far, they are from God's plans for me.

I receive the daily readings in my Inbox and when I read this, I had to pause and reflect:

Eccl 3:1-8 (NAB)

There is an appointed time for everything,
and a time for every thing under the heavens.
A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant.
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to tear down, and a time to build.
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather them;
a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.
A time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away.
A time to rend, and a time to sew;
a time to be silent, and a time to speak.
A time to love, and a time to hate;
a time of war, and a time of peace.

I ask for the grace to surrender to God's time, and not insist on what I think is right. God knows my heart more than I do.

No comments: