Saturday, October 13, 2007

Visiting the Redwoods


San Francisco 026
Originally uploaded by galadriella2007
They reminded me of The Faraway Tree in Enid Blyton's books. When planning for my US trip, my sister asked what I wanted to do that I wasn't able to do during my first visit. Among my top requests was to visit a redwood forest.

She drove me to Muir Woods. I got car-sick for a while due to the zigzag roads but upon reaching the beautiful forest and inhaling its fresh air, I felt peace and balance. I did a little research and found that:

"California's magnificent Coast Redwood is the world's tallest known tree and one of the world's oldest trees. Average mature trees, several hundred years old, stand from 200 to 240 feet tall and have diameters of 10 to 15 feet, and some trees have been measured at more than 360 feet. In the most favorable parts of their range, Coast Redwoods can live more than two thousand years."

This is a picture of me beside one slice of a redwood tree that shows its age. Awesome. Simply awesome.

No comments: