Monday, September 04, 2006

Death of a Crocodile Hunter

I usually can't stand to watch his shows that feature crocodiles, snakes and spiders (not among my favorite things), but I'm saddened to learn that Steve Irwin, the famous "Crocodile Hunter" from Australia, was killed after being stung by a barb of a stingray, which went straight to his heart. Read the BBC account here. Mama and I watched the news, unable to believe what we were hearing. His death was being announced while one of his shows was being run over at the Animal Planet (another SkyCable channel). Mama likes to watch his shows whenever she is in the mood for a good documentary.

Mr. Irwin most likely knew he was courting death by dealing with those dangerous creatures, yet he still went on and filmed documentaries that promoted the protection of the environment, especially the said creatures. I've actually seen stingrays and am not as scared of them as the crocodiles and spiders, not to mention the snakes (my absolute fear in life) that did not kill him. I think I even touched a baby stingray at the Singapore zoo, once (right Mommy P?). They are said to attack only out of fear, and Steve is only the second recorded death by stingray in Australia.

We really do not know the day or the hour when we shall pass away. The important thing is to do that which we were born to do, and to give it our best. May all of us be inspired by such bravery as was displayed by Steve Irwin.

No comments: