Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Cup Overflows

I just got home and realized I had to face the unfinished half of my prayer time. In the busyness of the RLTC preparations, I found myself lacking enough time to pray! It was a heavy, disorienting feeling that I don't want to have to endure often.

I was anything but still. There were too many things going on and I was juggling and struggling the past few weeks. Sure it was my birthday and I'm thankful for all the blessings I received, both tangible and intangible, and yet a day later I was back to a sleepless, worried, and irritable state. I realized what a contradiction my life was. I knew I was loved - for my cup overflows! Friends, family and community showed Jesus' concrete love. I was also reminded of how the Lord had granted my prayers and taken care of me the past year.

So how could I realize such blessing, and forget the rest of the message: That my cup overflows because the Lord is my shepherd and He gives me rest?

I close this day and this prayer time with this Psalm.

Psalm 23, RSV

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want;
2 he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

No comments: